Go to www.bmd.govt.nz. This has all the information you need to know.

  • Arrange a Marriage Licence at least three working days before you intend to get married.

  • You will need to know when and where you want to get married when you complete your application for a marriage licence. If you’re getting married outside, always have an alternative venue in case of bad weather.

  • During the ceremony, and before at least two witnesses, each party must say the words "I AB, take you CD, to be my legal wife/husband" or words to similar effect. For a civil union ceremony, each party must make a clear statement to the other that names both parties and acknowledges that they are freely joining in a civil union with each other.

  • The full names of the bride, bridegroom or partner as they appear on the licence must be used at some point in the ceremony to clearly identify each party. 

  • To get a licence you will need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage application form - (BDM 60, BDM 58 or BDM 59) If either of you have been married or in a civil union before, and the marriage or civil union has been dissolved, you will be asked to produce evidence of the dissolution (e.g. Divorce/Dissolution Order) when you give notice to the Registrar.

  • During the ceremony, the bride and groom (or partners), two witnesses and the celebrant are required to complete the legal documentation.

  • I will then register your marriage/civil union.